Mushroom Stroganoff


When I was a kid (and not a vegetarian) one of my favorite foods was Dad's meatball stroganoff. He'd come home late from work and make some for himself. Then he'd sit down at his spot at the table only to find me plunked down right next to him with a bowl in my hands and an expectant look on my face. No one ever said having children was easy. Since I no longer eat meat, in college I decided to try my hand at making a vegetarian version of the dish with mushrooms instead of meatballs.

Ingredients
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 lb mushrooms, chopped (any kind works so go regular with button mushrooms or fancy with shiitake, oyster, cremini, and/or portobello)
couple tablespoons of flour
2 cups white wine and vegetable broth (choose the ratio you like - I do about half and half)
1/2 c sour cream (regular or vegan)
paprika, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste
about a pound of egg noodles or pappardelle

Directions
1) Make the pasta.
2) While the pasta is cooking, sauté the garlic, onions and mushrooms in a pot.
3) Add the flour to thicken the mix a bit.
4) Add the wine and vegetable broth.
5) Remove the pot from the heat, then stir in the sour cream.
6) Add the seasonings.
7) Toss in the pasta. 





Comments

Popular Posts