Strata

Yesterday I came home from vacation to find out that my bread was starting to go stale and I had a bunch of vegetables that needed to be used up soon. What do you do with old bread and a bunch of vegetables that need to be used up? Why, you make strata of course!

Ingredients
old bread, cut into small cubes
vegetables (I used onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes but you can use anything - I've even tried it with apples before)
grated cheese (I used cheddar, but it's even better with gruyere)
eggs
butter

Directions
1. Saute the vegetables.
2. Butter the inside of a casserole dish.
3. Layer the bottom of the dish with bread cubes, then put on a layer of vegetables, then a layer of cheese. Repeat this a few times.
4. Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk them. Some people whisk the eggs with milk, but I didn't have any milk so I didn't use any.
5. Pour the whisked eggs over the bread. If you have time, it's good to let the strata sit in the refrigerator for a while at this point so the bread can absorb the eggy goodness. I didn't want to wait, so I just went on to the next step:
6. Bake your strata at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until it is golden brown and cooked all the way through. This should take about 45 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts